Thursday, August 4, 2011

Random Musings

I have a slew more pictures to add sometime soon, but I don't have the energy today to get all caught up. I just have a few random, and mostly insignificant things that I need to get on record.

First, Abby has full on started walking this week!!! She's so cute to watch. Jane is not far behind. Abby's skinny legs and skinny body seems to find walking a bit easier than Jane's chubby little legs and body. I love one-year-old babies! I love my children always, but there are a few stages that are extra cute. This is one of those. I'll enjoy it while I can, because I know from prior experience that almost-two-year-olds are more difficult for me until after their 3rd birthday. I am really hoping that Abby and Jane are extra sweet during the "terrible twos" but I guess it's better to have realistic expectations :)

We have been reading the Book of Mormon at night, and we read only a FEW verses every night- which I love because I have to simply explain the verses to small children, and this leads to great conversations. A few nights ago, we were talking about Lehi and how he preached repentance to the people of Jerusalem. Owen asked what repentance means, and we discussed his question. Then, Savannah asked what we say in "those kind of prayers" (when we are repenting).  I tried to bring it to their level, so I asked Savannah what "naughty" choice she had made in the last little while. She hesitated to tell me, and first started saying many wrong things which Owen did :) (I thought- isn't that human nature-- so much easier to point out what others do wrong than ourselves.)  Then she finally told me that she had pinched Owen in the car the other day. (I really tried not to laugh and smile-- I wish that the hardest thing I had to repent for is pinching someone :). We then talked about how we would confess and repent for "pinching" and what we might say to Heavenly Father in our prayers.... It was quite an enlightening experience, and I am thankful to be a mother. I learn so much from my children.

I love the laughs that come from listening to the things children say, and listening to them figure out the world. The other day, I heard Owen explain to Savannah how we get milk. Very interesting :) He told Savannah that cows pee, and we get milk from cow's "pee pees". That's how he saw it :) I did have to jump in that conversation, and clarify a bit more.

 Savannah told me the other day, that I really needed to wash her quilt. She further explained with much seriousness that when she goes to bed, she sits and farts on it. Glad to know that :)

Great Books
This summer we have done a lot of reading. I am so loving the Salt Lake Public Library. It's amazing, and has provided lots of free education and fun for us. Some of our favorite books that we have read this summer, and that I would like to remember are:

My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stilles Gannett. This is such a fun easy chapter book with a map. It teaches creativity, problem solving, and that anything is possible.

Mailing May, by Michael O. Tunnell. This is a picture book, based on a true story about a little girl, a family, and the U.S. Postal service. This story teaches that  ordinary people can use great creativity to solve difficult problems.

Joseph had a Little Overcoat, by Simms Taback. This is a wonderful picture book that won the Caldecott Medal. We loved the creativity of the illustrations, and it taught us that you can always make something out of nothing.

Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters, by John Steptoe. This is a Caldecott Honor book, and has a great message. It teaches that being good and kind all the time is important, and that is what brings true beauty. People who are two faced, and only good and kind to impress at the right time- do not win in the end. We never know who is watching us, therefore, who we really are will be found out.


It took me a long time, but I finally finished Emma, by Jane Austen. It is one of those books, that took longer than I wanted to finish, but was so worth it. I think this book will be on my must read list for all my daughters when they are young adults. The love story is sweet and beautiful. It also teaches that there is no need for meddling, and jealousy. True love work out just by being true to who we are.
   My favorite line in the book, about the man who loves the lady (I will not say who, because who must be found out by reading the book). It says that he loved her, and considered her, "faultless in spite of all her faults". I love this because I felt those words so close to home, that after eight years of marriage, my husband feels the same way about me, and I am so grateful!!! 
   In the footnotes of the book, it suggests that Jane Austen echoes the words of Congreve in The Way of the World, which says, "I like her with all her faults; nay, I like her for all her faults. Her follies are so natural, or so artful, that they become her; and those affectations which in another woman would be odious, serve but to make her more agreeable."  I love those words because true love endures even with all of our faults, in fact I think if spouses loved each other "for" their faults, marriages would be more fun, and truly turn into happily ever after- instead of bickering and fault finding. Thank you, Jane Austen, for reminding me about true love, and inspiring thankfulness in me that my husband does seem to find me "faultless in spite of all my faults."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment