Savannah started 2nd grade last week. Her first day of school was kind of a sad point in motherhood for me-- one that I was not anticipating. A bunch of kids in the ward ride their bikes to school and home together. Since it was Savannah's first day at Brookside Elementary, and the 3rd elementary school she's attended (because we've had a few moves in the last few years), I figured that I would go along with her and make sure she knew where her class was. I thought she'd feel more comfortable with me there because she always has before!
Well, I'd arranged that Michael would stay with the other kids so that I could help Savannah. The kids in the ward all arrived and were riding crazily all over the place. They took off as quick as they could to school. Savannah was in the back of the gang, and I started running along. She sheepishly and bluntly told me that she did not need my help and that I could go home. :(
I asked her if she knew how to find her class and everything. She sharply told me yes, she did!! I, however, knew that she did not know. But, I obeyed her orders and stayed behind watching her dart to school with all the older kids.
![]() |
| This was not her first day of school. She rode away too fast for me to take a picture that day!! |
![]() |
| On their way! |
I did get in the van as soon as she was out of sight and I drove to Brookside Elementary School. I quietly spied... just to make sure she made it to her class. She did.
Later I asked her if she was embarrassed when I was running along side of her. She told me that yes, yes she was!!
I asked her why. She said, "mom, none of the other kids' moms were doing that!!!!"
I have officially come to the point in motherhood where one of my own children is embarrassed to be seen with me. (Sniff!)
A few days later though she told me that she did indeed get lost that first day. Luckily she ran into another friend who showed her where to go. Thank goodness. But, since I spied and she still doesn't know it, she would have been okay no matter what. I wonder if my mom ever spied on me? Maybe all moms do it once our children are embarrassed to be seen WITH us :).
Owen just started Kindergarten a few days ago. Kindergarteners get to start a week later than everyone else. Even though he's been hesitant to go to school, he was one excited kid that first day. (Although he did confide in his daddy the night before that he was afraid that kids would make fun of him by saying, "hey, look at that bald kid!"-- I absolutely have no idea what he's talking about, but that was his fear :). I guess irrational fears can really get the best of us :)).
The chain of events that day:
First he got on his backpack, and hugged Abby and Jane goodbye:
Then he did some posing for me:
He snapped on his bike helmet, got on that little bike of his, and rode to school. He even let me run beside him :). He still left me in the dust though.
Some 3rd grade boys met him at the bike racks. I was a bit nervous, but they were just welcoming him to school and asking who his teacher was, and trying to show him around. One of the boys told Owen in all complete seriousness, "buddy, you make sure to tell Mrs. Hylton that Triston loves her." Thankfully, Owen was assigned the most famous and most loved teacher at the school.
He posed a few more times in front of and in the school.
Then we walked him to his class:
I did get slightly teary-eyed, but he was happy to be there. He was still not embarrassed to hug and kiss me goodbye. I'm so glad.
After school though, I went to pick them up. Savannah and Owen informed me that they could ride home with the group and will not be needing me there. :). oh well. I'll just keep spying.











No comments:
Post a Comment