Sunday, March 25, 2012

What I've Learned from Owen





Owen is at a stage where I love to hear what is going on inside his thoughts.

I picked him up after preschool one day, and he was extremely somber. I asked him if anything was wrong, but he said no. We just kept on going. I saw some heaviness on his shoulders.

Finally, he thoughtfully and fearfully asked, "Can you go to jail if you throw away something in the wrong garbage can?"

I didn't understand what he was asking, but I knew he was very serious and concerned about something. I asked what he meant. Holding back tears he told me that he accidentally threw his grapes away in the recycling garbage can instead of the real garbage can. He told me that he was afraid a police man was going to come get him and put him in jail.

Oh the sweetness. If only everyone has such a conscience:)

*****


One day we were driving, and Owen blurted out a deep thought. He said, "I know one thing that Jesus didn't make."

We asked him what that was.

He replied, "butts. The kind people light on fire and put in their mouths. Jesus wouldn't make those."

I agree.

******

A couple of days ago, a piece of garbage flew out of our van. Owen started screaming, "daddy get it!!!!!Mommy get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The garbage blew to the other side of the big and busy street. It was impossible to get. He cried, "WE CAN'T GLITTER!!!"  

He then directed us to exactly where the "glitter" was.  It was across and down and far away. Since he is so concerned that we shouldn't "glitter", we drove until we found it. We threw that darn piece of "glitter" away.

I hope he never learns the real word.



We love Owen!




No comments:

Post a Comment