Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stealing Cinderella


I heard this song on the radio a while ago. It was one of those that made my eyes get a little bit 
embarrassingly wet.
And my throat got surprisingly tight-- the kind where you can't talk 
or else the flood gates will break...
STEALING CINDERELLA
I immediately thought of my Cinderella...

Savannah


The song is about a guy who wants to marry this girl, and he is at her home- meeting her parents. Her dad 

pulls out some pictures of his daughter when she was little. As the guy looks at these pictures, he knows that her dad still sees his daughter as the little girl in the pictures. The words of the song are about the pictures...

"She was playing Cinderella, riding her first bike, jumping on the bed looking for a pillow fight, popsicle

grin..." I can't remember the words here... but the guy  in love knows that his lady's father just sees him as

just someone trying to steal his Cinderella.

This song describes my little girl right now...
doing the chores for her wicked step mother
the mice make her a beautiful dress
 her wicked step sisters rip the dress- and she cries

... then her fairy god mother comes and an even more beautiful dress appears!!
oooops!! she loses her shoe...
alas, still her Prince Charming finds her-- only, in this case, she finds him and forces a kiss
       The wedding!!!
She finds another prince charming...
the last one didn't stick around. Too bad this one isn't as cute.
PLAYING CINDERELLA


Riding her first bike 
I couldn't find the picture, but she did learn to ride her first real bike this summer.

Jumping on the bed
Looking for a pillow fight 

 in this case, jumping on the trampoline... although jumping on the bed happens far too often!
 Looking for real fights with...

Of course.


Which brings me to the whole point of the reason this darn song chokes me up...
Today was Savannah's first day of Kindergarten.
I feel like the poor dad in the song!! My Cinderella will go to school almost every day for the next twenty something years.
I am thankful that she is SO EXCITED!
I am thankful that she is such a sweet girl.
I am thankful that she is so smart.   
I am thankful for education. Of course... so thankful.
but,
I miss my CINDERELLA.
I am weeping right this second.
Michael told me just not to let her see me cry- I think I've held up in front of her.

Here she is... first day at Cherry Creek Elementary
almost ready to go into her class room (sniff sniff sniff).. but look at her smile!
She just jumped in her seat and was ready to start... and ready for me to go :(
See you at 3:15...
Savannah has been looking forward to this day for years. She loves school. She loves learning. She amazes me. She picks up things so fast. She can write, spell, read a few words, add, subtract, and even do a little algebra. 
She will do great. I am so proud of my girl!

I have to confess that while I was praying last night, tears were running down my face. I prayed that she would not encounter any bullies, that everyone would be nice to her, and that school would be everything she has hoped for so long.  
Savannah, I love you, love you, love you. Forever and ever and ever.  Love, mom  

P.S. I found Owen pouting on the floor this morning. He let me know that he was sad. I asked him why. Wouldn't talk. I asked if he wanted Savannah to go to school. He shook his head- no. I asked if wanted her to stay home from school... he nodded. Then, he went back to sulking. So, Savannah, even though he teases, and tries to bite and hit- he loves you and misses you too. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh so cute!! I can't believe Savannah is in Kindergarten...I feel a little emotional about it and I am just the Aunt...Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete